Monday, July 1, 2013

Ice Cube Trays for Meal Time!


By Karina Gonzalez, MS CCC-SLP



I want to share a great motivational feeding tool that only costs a dollar! Ice cube trays! I started using them recently in my feeding sessions and they have been working out great! I use them with both picky eaters and with children that have issues with pacing and overstuff their mouths.
For picky eaters, I find that when you use an ice cube tray instead of a plate, they are more open to trying the new food. The spaces allow you to place the bites individually and to a child with food aversion, it is not as scary as having all the food bunched up on a plate. They also provide the child with a visual of when he is done with the meal. You can fill all the spaces or just a few, and your child will know that once he finishes all the pieces, he is done! This usually gets them more motivated to participate. Plus, it’s just more fun than a plate!



Whenever I introduce a new food, I always start small (think crumb size) and I start with only 5 ice cube spaces. At the following meal, I will increase it to 6 and so on. I will also increase the size of the crumb to the size of a pea, then dime, etc. If your child is not doing well with the smallest size and quantity then you will need to stay at this level for a few more meals.
On the other hand, if your child overstuffs his mouth, you can use the tray to remind him to take “one bite” at a time. You can cover the holes with your hand or a paper showing him only one at a time. Tell him to chew and swallow before opening the next hole.

If your child needs more motivation, purchase these robot ice cube trays for boys HERE and princess trays for girls HERE.

I hope this simple tool can make meal times more manageable. Please comment below, we love to hear your thoughts.

Have you read my post on making meal time fun, HERE? and Food Play for Picky Eaters, HERE 
Also take a look at these fun face plates,HERE

As always, we are here to help you may contact us with any questions or concerns speakeatplay@gmail.com

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment